During this workshop the children will explore what it must have been like living during this period. Travel back in time and meet Sara Louise Elmslie (Syrie), wife of Dr Thomas Barnardo, the founder of Britain’s first children’s home.
During the session the children will:
- Learn about the activist Dr Thomas Barnardo
- Through improvisation and role play, explore life and work by the Thames
- Visit a workhouse run by the intimidating ‘Mr Bumble’
- Learn a song from the popular Music Hall
- Discover how Victorian England was transformed through innovation and The Industrial Revolution and take part in ‘The Great Exhibition of 1851’ with special guest Queen Victoria herself!
Drama Hut have worked with our school on many occasions. Each time, the workshops have been well planned out- with teachers ideas in mind, well executed by very enthusiastic practitioners and have been thoroughly enjoyed by all children! Each workshop has engaged the children enormously, using original ideas that involve the children through practical games and activities. I would recommend this drama company to all schools.
Marie Hedges – Orlean’s Primary School